Southport was founded as the town of Smithville in 1792 and was renamed Southport in 1887. The Southport Historic District contains Fort Johnston, the Old County Courthouse, the Chapel of the Cross (1843) and St. Philips Church (1851), as well as a significant number of other historic structures.

Fort Johnston Headquarters (Southport)

Originally Chapel of the Cross (1843) & later, St. Philips Church (1851)