The Cape Fear Lighthouse Complex on Bald Head Island (Smith Island) was built in 1903. In the beginning, the complex included the lighthouse, three detached keepers' houses (referred to as "Cap'n Charlie's Cottages"), and a supply shed. The lighthouse itself was demolished in 1958, replaced by the Oak Island Lighthouse on Caswell Beach.

(Photo: KudzuVine, CC BY-SA 3.0 , via Wikimedia Commons)